Wednesday, May 4, 2011

breastmilk: how long will it last?

Since I am planning to planning to also pump breast milk you will want to know how long it can be stored at room temperature, in the refrigerator, or in the freezer.
(So I'd have at least one extra bottle if in case I have someone to watch over my baby while I could get precious undisturbed sleep. ^^,   )

The table below (which confirms what I thought I learnt from college) shows that it would be OK to let my milk stand at room temperature for 4-8 hours which means that I could sleep undisturbed for a maximum of that number of hours whenever my beloved hubby would stay up for me instead ^^, . 

Breast Milk Storage Guidelines

Room TemperatureRefrigeratorFreezer compartmentFreezerDeep Freezer
4-8 hours
(May be left at room temperature for up to 10 hours if the temperature is below 72°F, 22°C)
Three to eight daysUp to 2 weeks3-4 months6-12 months
66-72°F, 19-22°C32-39°F, 0-4°CTemperatures vary4°F, 20°C0°F, -19°C
Use at next feeding or discardTransfer to freezer within 8 days, use, or discardOnce frozen breast milk is thawed, it should be used within 24 hours. Do not refreeze.Once frozen breast milk is thawed, it should be used within 24 hours. Do not refreeze.Once frozen breast milk is thawed, it should be used within 24 hours. Do not refreeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails