Monday, August 8, 2011

guide for 1st time parents

Yes, we are first time parents. But nearing my debut on our youngest brother's birth had been a first-hand experience for me. Although I must admit that that experience had been nothing compared to being the mother or the primary caregiver.
My husband, on the other hand, is indeed on his first time!
But I must commend him for gathering up the guts to carry our then less than a week old baby. But indeed, there had been other firsts to him other than this.
He got surprised when our baby peed while he was on his arms. He got even more astonished when it was followed by poo! And my hubby was indeed kind of "OA" when it happened which annoyed me at first (since I forgot that this was his first.).
He got his first at changing diapers... at having the baby burp after I feed Joram.

Anyway, I found this article which I think is a lot of help indeed! Aside from the excerpt that I've posted below, there are a lot to learn from this article as well.
(just click on the title)


Handling a Newborn

If you haven't spent a lot of time around newborns, their fragility may be intimidating. Here are a few basics to remember:
  • Wash your hands (or use a hand sanitizer) before handling your newborn. Young babies have not built up a strong immune system yet, so they are susceptible to infection. Make sure that everyone who handles your baby also has clean hands.
  • Be careful to support your baby's head and neck. Cradle the head when carrying your baby and support the head when carrying the baby upright or when you lay him or her down.
  • Be careful not to shake your newborn, whether in play or in frustration. Shaking that is vigorous can cause bleeding in the brain and even death. If you need to wake your infant, don't do it by shaking — instead, tickle your baby's feet or blow gently on a cheek.
  • Make sure your baby is securely fastened into the carrier, stroller, or car seat. Limit any activity that would be too rough or bouncy.
  • Remember that your newborn is not ready for rough play, such as being jiggled on the knee or thrown in the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails